Shop Bitch!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Do you know this man??


Do you know this man?
I'm sure you do and you don't even know it. His name is Al Copeland and he died earlier today in Munich, Germany. Copeland was the founder of Popeye's fried chicken. *bites lip and holds back tears*
Al was a Louisiana legend and became known for his flamboyant lifestyle and lavish parties. After growing up in New Orleans, Copeland sold his car at age 18 for enough money to open his own one-man doughnut shop. He went on to spend 10 modestly successful years in the doughnut business.
The opening of a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in New Orleans in 1966, however, caught Copeland's eye. Inspired by KFC's success, Copeland in 1971 used his doughnut profits to open a restaurant, Chicken on the Run. ("So fast you get your chicken before you get your change.")
After six months, Chicken on the Run was still losing money. In a last-ditch effort, Copeland chose a spicier Louisiana Cajun-style recipe and reopened the restaurant under the name Popeyes Mighty Good Fried Chicken, after Popeye Doyle, Gene Hackman's character in the film "The French Connection." [NOT POPEYE THE SAILORMAN] The chain that grew from the one restaurant became Popeyes Famous Fried Chicken.
In its third week of operation, Copeland's revived chicken restaurant broke the profit barrier.
Franchising began in 1976, growing the chain to more than 800 stores in the United States and several foreign countries by 1989.
Now you may be asking yourself why I would waste my time posting a eulogy to this man, when there are far worst tragedies going on in the world right now? Well folks let me just say that this man's creation as gotten me through many a cold, hungry and lonely night! If it wasn't for the 3 piece, spicy with some cajun rice and a biscuit and puleeze don't forget my jelly! I don't know where I might be right now. So Al, my main man, R.I.P.

No comments: