Shop Bitch!

Friday, April 25, 2008

50 shots and STILL NOT GUILTY...

I know it and I understand it. But it's frustrating, I don't know why I'm so shocked especially after the Amadou Diallo case. I guess maybe because I wasn't a mother then. Because I never felt the war on black males hit me so close to home.
I live in NYC and as the mother of a very, smart and beautiful young, black male- I am at a lost. What do I do now???
How do I protect him from the people I have taught him are here to PROTECT HIM????!!!!

I raise my son to call everyone sir or ma'am- not because he is less than them but because he is equal to and they deserve respect as much as he does.

I tell him to RESPECT COPS. NOT FEAR THEM. Is that wrong??

Should I explain that no matter if he's in a dark suit or a dark hoodie he is still a threat. Should I tell him to emasculate himself so that cops don't suspect him. Am I just raising another moving target???

What do I do? Can someone tell me???


It's like what can a black man do when a nervous, undertrained, underpaid person is holding a gun to him at 4:00 in the morning.


Extending your wallet with your identification- NO!
Raising your hands in the air in surrender-NO!
Running like hell?-NO!

So what do I tell him to do then, so when that day comes I can ensure that he comes home safe to me at night???

*just asking, Sadly*

No comments: